Thursday, August 11, 2011

Every Thing Has Its Time - Andrea Pottyondy - Saint John Arts Centre

August 19th - October 22nd, 2011

This exhibit features mostly abandoned homes in rural and city settings in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. They are not just dilapidated empty structures but receptacles that contain history of place, and narratives of family that we can only imagine.

Subconsciously I was provoked into painting this series during the time that my parents had to sell and move from their home of over fifty years (my childhood home). At the same time our daughters were leaving our home to attend university so I was experiencing “empty nest” syndrome!

Through this artwork I hope to convey a sense of nostalgia and passage of time. The song that Pete Seeger adapted from Ecclesiastes 3:1-18;NRSV is the mantra of this series:

To Everything (Turn, Turn, Turn)

There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn)

And a time for every purpose, under Heaven

No comments: